Friday, February 20, 2015

Clapboard Country Store

This project starts with viewing numerous images of country stores on the internet looking for just the right one.   I wanted something with the same look and feel as Quattro Farm Store in Pleasant Valley NY.

Once I found what I was looking for,  it was time to start the drawing.  A quick sketch on the drawing board and it was time to go into Inkscape and draw some templates.  Inkscape is open source and runs on Windows,  Mac and Linux.  I draw the image full size,  save the file, and then resize to to 1:87 when I print.  This way I can work in real measurements.    



 Templates drawn in Inkscape full size and then scaled to 1:87.
 

To transfer the measurements to the styrene,  I use a caliper, and then verify the lengths with a H.O. Scale ruler.  Once I have the shapes sketched on the .40 styrene,  I cut them out with a knife.  I do not cut out the windows.  Next I test fit the styrene by tapping the together with painters tape for easy removal.   I will cut out the windows later when I have them windows built or ordered.  For this project,  I ordered the windows from http://www.tichytraingroup.com/

Now that I have my basic shape,  it's time to start the real work.  Making the clapboard siding.   I cut scale clapboard from Wooden Coffee Stirrers I order on Amazon in boxes of 1000 for about 7 bucks.
I cut them on a small table saw with a 2" blade to scale 16 footers and then cut a few 4',8' and 12 footers to start the rows.

I create paper templates so the clapboard goes down straight and and use magnets to hold them in place while the glue sets.   I build 4 to 5 rows at a time and then let the glue set for 1/2 hour before starting the next series.   By using stirring sticks I get natural wood grain and looks good if painted.  Plus, the sticks are not perfect,  so it give some additional character to the project.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment